Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Easy Beef Stew--yummy too!

1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced
2 cups carrots chopped
2 large potatoes, cut in 1/2 inch chunks
1 cup fresh green beans, in bite-sized pieces (or one can)
1 lb. beef stew meat (I like to trim mine of fat and cut into bite sized pieces)
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1 clove garlic, crushed ( i don't use, but for those who love it)
3 cups beef stock
2 Tbsp. light brown sugar
3/4 tsp. salt
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
pepper to taste

Put everything in the crock pot and stir to combine. Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours or high for 4-6. (The longer the better). Cook until beef is tender and the potatoes are fork tender. Stir once or twice as it cooks, if possible.

About 30 minutes before serving the stew needs to be thickened. You can do it two different ways:

Method 1: Transfer a ladleful of the broth to a small mixing bowl. Add 3 Tbsp. flour and 2 tsp. tomato paste and whisk until smooth. Stir the mixture into the stew and cook for an additional 1/2 hour.

Method 2: Mix equal parts room temperature softened butter and flour. This is called a Beurre manie'. I generally do 1/4 cup of each and if there is extra you can save it in the fridge wrapped in plastic wrap. Transfer a ladleful of the stew broth into a bowl and whisk in about 2-3 Tbsp. of the beurre manie till dissolved. Stir back into the stew and cook for an additional 1/2 hour. If it needs to be thickened more, you can stir this right into the crock pot if you work with it to make sure it gets dissolved.

I like the butter method better (obviously! who wouldn't, but the other way is a little healthier and I do the other cause Reed doesn't really like tomato). This really is great cause it cooks all day and is so EASY.

Adapted from on old Family Fun recipe.

Heather
Kentucky

PS--Jamie, I hope I did this right.

3 comments:

  1. It's perfect Heather. I'm so glad you contributed to this blog. I was secretly hoping you'd add some of your recipes. :) Hope there's more. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. **** - This was really good and so easy. I'll definitely make it again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I give this 4 STARS for sure. My family loved it. It's simple, but the flavor is really, really good. I did the butter version...thanks Heather!

    ReplyDelete